Dublin school board members suspended by governor

Cash crisis, accreditation worries and history of deficit budgets lead to board’s removal.


 Gov. Brian Kemp ordered all seven members of the Dublin City Board of Education suspended and removed from office Monday afternoon.

Kemp will appoint temporary replacements from candidates recommended by a local nominating committee, the governor said in his executive order.

The suspensions were recommended last week by the state Board of Education after an almost 11-hour hearing on the district’s downgraded accreditation status. 

Stay in the know with our free newsletter

Receive stories from Laurens County straight to your inbox.

Testimony highlighted Dublin City’s history of financial struggles and how the board has repeatedly promised but failed to fix its long-running deficit. It also revealed how the district, with little to no oversight from the local board, nearly misspent and mismanaged its way into insolvency after an influx of more $19 million in federal COVID money led to over-hiring and overpaying staff.

Kemp’s order lists each of Dublin’s seven board members by name – chairwoman Amanda Smith, John Bell, Jeff Davis, Joanna Glover, Peggy Johnson, James Lanier and Kenny Walters.

Three of the board members are still in their first terms. Smith and Glover took office in 2024, while Davis began serving this January.

Kemp’s order creates the Dublin City Board of Education Nominating Committee that will be tasked with recommending new temporary members. 

The nominating committee includes:

• Matt Donaldson, the state Board of Education member from Dublin’s congressional district

• State Rep. Matt Hatchett, whose House District 155 includes Dublin

• State Sen. Larry Walker, whose Senate District 20, includes Dublin

• Former Dublin Mayor Phil Best

• Local businessman Edwin May


Dublin’s board members can petition the governor individually for reinstatement, which would be decided at another hearing. Any board member who does not petition would be permanently removed.

Monday night’s monthly meeting of the board was canceled.

“We recognize the importance of this responsibility and want to ensure that we do what is right for the students, families and educators of Dublin City Schools. We look forward to working together to help identify the best individuals to serve the school system during this transition,” Hatchett, the House Appropriations Committee chairman, said in a joint statement with Walker.

 “This is an important moment for Dublin City Schools, and our focus must remain squarely on improving outcomes for students, families, educators and ultimately taxpayers who fund the school system,” said Senate Pro Tempore Walker, the “The work of this committee is crucial to restore confidence and stability to Dublin City Schools. I appreciate Governor Kemp entrusting us with this responsibility, and I look forward to working with the committee to recommend individuals who will put the interests of Dublin’s students first.” 

Author

Rodney writes about local politics, issues and trends, in addition to covering the Laurens County and Dublin City Schools beats and editing award-winning outdoors special section Porter’s Guide to Hunting and Fishing. The veteran newspaperman, with over three and a half decades of experience as a reporter and editor, has spent the bulk of his career covering various parts of Central Georgia in roles with The Courier Herald and Macon Telegraph.

Sovrn Pixel